Sunday, October 14, 2012

Installing the performance counter strings for service ASP.NET_64 (ASP.NET_64) failed


This is a doozy.  You will not be able to install SharePoint 2010, or change IIS features.  I tried reinstalling frameworks, fiddling in IIS etc.

In the event log you will get
Installing the performance counter strings for service ASP.NET_64 (ASP.NET_64) failed. The first DWORD in the Data section contains the error code.
and
Unable to install counter strings because the SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ASP.NET_64\Performance key could not be opened or accessed. The first DWORD in the Data section contains the Win32 error code.

What I did was create a SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ASP.NET_64\Performance key (only ASP.NET_64_2.0.50727 exists).
I completely uninstalled IIS and all components, restarted and then redid the IIS I needed to run SharePoint 2010 on my Windows7 machine,

No comments: